2011 Sasquatch festival lineup announced

Monday, February 7th, 2011, 1:00 am by Ben Salmon

The lineup for the 2011 Sasquatch festival, to be held May 27-30 at The Gorge Amphitheatre in central Washington, was announced tonight in Seattle. Here’s the poster for the fest, which I found on the excellent Guerilla Candy music blog. (There’s also a text list of the lineup at the bottom of this post.)

Of all the big summer festival announcements, it’s Sasquatch that matters most to Bend’s music scene. That’s because for three of the past five years, the group that books Les Schwab Amphitheater has put together concerts on Memorial Day weekend featuring bands traveling to or from Sasquatch. In 2006, Ben Harper, Beck and The Flaming Lips headlined three nights of shows at the Schwab. In 2008, Michael Franti, Death Cab for Cutie and Modest Mouse did the same. And in 2010, Band of Horses and She & Him teamed up for a co-headline concert.

Three of those bands — the Lips, Death Cab and Modest Mouse — are among the biggest names announced for this year’s Sasquatch. Other “big font” bands on the Sasquatch ’11 poster that have played the Schwab include Wilco and The Decemberists. Add in mega-headliner Foo Fighters, and that’s a pretty good overview of the bands that could potentially headline Memorial Day weekend shows in Bend.

My initial reaction is that the lineup is OK, though not amazing. The headliners (with one exception) seem a little … well … done. Not a lot of “oomph” there, you know? But I’m particularly excited about Foo Fighters, Archers of Loaf, Aloe Blacc, Guided By Voices, Sharon Van Etten and Das Racist, with honorable mention going to Wilco, Deerhunter, The Head and The Heart, Black Mountain, White Denim and Washed Out.

So … what do you think? Good lineup? Lousy? Meh? Think we’ll see any of those bands (or others on the list) rock the Schwab? I sure hope so.

Here’s the whole list:

Foo Fighters
Death Cab for Cutie
Modest Mouse
Wilco
The Flaming Lips (performing “The Soft Bulletin” and more)
The Decemberists
Bright Eyes
Iron & Wine
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Bassnectar
Robyn
Death From Above 1979 (not on poster; per this tweet)
Flogging Molly
Rebecca Gates and The Consortium
White Arrows
Pepper Rabbit
Talkdemonic
The Young Evils

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “2011 Sasquatch festival lineup announced”

1. Jill says:

My picks are Bright Eyes and Iron & Wine. Not big arena acts, I know, but I would love to see them come to Bend all the same.

• Ben Salmon says:

I don’t love that new Iron & Wine album, but agree, Jill, that it’d be nice to see both those bands come to Bend. More thoughts below…

2. Thomas Osborne says:

Bright Eyes / Iron & Wine would make a great co-bill at the Schwab.

When Conor Oberst played the Domino with the Mystic Valley Band a couple years ago, he said he would come back.

I’d love to see the Old 97s, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Deerhunter, Wilco. The Decemberists would be the ultimate catch in 2011 for the Schwab.

Pink Martini at Sasquatch?

When do we get the Memorial Day weather forecast?

• Ben Salmon says:

Good memory, Thomas. Indeed, Oberst did say he’d be back. At some point, I remember hearing he had family in Bend, so perhaps this is the year.

That said, I also think that you’re smart to co-bill them with I&W. Alone, I’m not sure either of those bands could carry the Schwab. Together, it seems possible. (I would not have guessed that Band of Horses was a viable Schwab headliner last year, so that shows what I know.)

I’m pretty interested to see if The Decemberists end up headlining the Schwab this summer. They’ve played there as openers at least three times (I think), so you’d think they’ve put in the work to get to move up to the top of the bill. I’d rather see them than DCFC or Modest Mouse again (though I wouldn’t skip either of those bands, either).

I was surprised to see Pink Martini on the Sasquatch poster, too.

Finally, as for weather: I’ve been to seven Schwab concerts on Memorial Day weekend in the past five years, and every single one has been cold and drizzling rain. So … I’d say that’s a pretty good guess. I hope I’m wrong.

3. scott halvorson says:

I’d see Wilco again, absolutely. I missed the previous Flaming Lips show at the Schwab, wouldn’t mind making up for that. Don’t know if I’d see Modest Mouse again though; I like them well enough, but enjoyed their openers a good deal more.

Personally though, I’d love to see The Old 97s. Too Far To Care is a personal favorite. Not convinced they could carry the Schwab. Guided By Voices of course, would be a no-brainer. Maybe a Guided By Voices / Old 97s bill?

• Ben Salmon says:

Hey Scott! Good to see ya.

Truth is, I’d see any of these bands in Bend, of course. I’d rather see Wilco than the Mouse, and I’d probably rather see the Lips do “The Soft Bulletin” over both of those. (A non-”Bulletin” Lips show, though, would probably drop below both of the others.)

“Too Far To Care” is a personal favorite of mine, too, as is the stuff before it and “Satellite Rides.” I’ve seen the Old 97s lots of times, both back in ’97/’98 and just a couple years ago. They’re not the live band they once were, but they’re still solid. But you’re right, no way can they carry the Schwab. Domino Room, maybe.

Even paired with GBV, I don’t think it’s a go for the Schwab. I think you need another band bigger than both those to headline. But, as I said before, I’m no expert. I wouldn’t have bet on BoH being a viable Schwab show last year. As I always say, this is why I don’t book shows.

Fun topic, though. I’m hoping to get a speculative post up on Frequency later this week!