BRING PAVEMENT TO BEND!

Friday, February 26th, 2010, 8:45 am by Ben Salmon

pave

Welcome, fan of great music! You’ve reached Frequency’s effort to show Monqui Presents and the Les Schwab Amphitheater there are tons of people who’d like to see the band Pavement play in Bend.

The 2010 lineup at the Schwab so far includes Merle Haggard and the Steve Miller Band. Sounds like a pretty good time to me. But I want to have an awesome time at a concert this summer. And I think a show by the reunited kings of indie rock is the shortest path to an awesome time. That’s the short version. Please read the long version in my Feedback column in GO! Magazine today.

If you think Pavement in Bend sounds pretty sweet, please take a minute to leave a comment on this blog post. Tell the world just how much you’d love to see ‘em. Tell Monqui you’d buy tickets, and you’d get friends to buy tickets (if you would … no lying, please). Give the folks behind the concerts to Les Schwab Amphitheater a reason to bring Pavement to Bend!

Tags: ,

24 Responses to “BRING PAVEMENT TO BEND!”

1. A.C. says:

I’m not familiar with ‘Pavement’ (maybe I am and don’t remember), but I’d definitely go based on your recommendation.

2. Ben Salmon says:

Yes! I … well, I support my own idea! And I would convince all my friends to go, because I am persuasive like that.

3. Shannon says:

Pavement needs to stop by Bend (along with MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Tegan and Sarah).

I would say bring Wilco but they just announced they won’t be touring the US this summer. That is OK, I just saw them 2 weeks ago.

4. D.Boon says:

Hey kids, listen to Ben! Pavement may have been overshadowed by Nirvana and other grunge bands but their music was far more diverse with style and tempo variations that make it far more relevant today. Sign up on the petition, pass it along to your friends and get ready for some crowd surfing the likes of we haven’t seen since the Pixies show back in 2004!

5. Sho Sho says:

Um, abso-frickin-loutely. And I’d buy tickets. And I’d make people come to see it with me. It’d be like that magical Memorial Day weekend in Bend, years ago, when all of my Portland pals drove over to Bend for the weekend and we all went to the Schwab concerts.

It was my second year in this town, and it led me to believe Memorial Day Weekend in Bend would always be epic. (tear)

6. Conor F. says:

I would absolutely make the drive from Portland to see Pavement in Bend.

7. rockinrobin says:

Yuuuup!!! I’d buy tix for me, my friends, and even some imaginary friends! Sasquatch is prohibitive due to re-entry rules, cost, mostly re-entry rules, and the headliners’ here in Bend would be WARMLY received! Keep us posted, Ben. Anything we can do to beg their presence – let us know!

ps – nice moniker, D.Boon. I wish.

8. Keith C says:

Sure I work at The Bulletin, but I heartily endorse this effort. Slanted and Enchanted is one of the great albums of my formative years. Malkmus and the Jicks are pretty good in concert, but I know Pavement would be great.

9. Sheryl says:

Pavement gets significant radio play in Bend, how many cities can say that? I’d buy tickets the first day, even though it’s general admission. People would drive from Portland too and I think it would sell out quickly.

10. Mezlove says:

There is no question. Every effort needs to be made to bring Pavement to Bend. This is one of the hottest acts this summer. Pavement defined indie-rock through the 90s and were a HUGE influence on a lot of the bands that have come up since. Frontman Steve Malkmus’s band the Jicks came through Bend two or three years ago as an opening act. Please please please get Pavement.

11. Jonathan says:

Pavement playing in Bend would be a good thing, yes.

Dirty Projectors and tUnE-yArDs opening for Pavement in Bend would be an amazing thing.

12. Mud says:

Crooked Rain was an essential for me in my later high school years. I’d love to see them.

13. Mud says:

looking at their schedule, Monday, May 31st, would probably be the only likely date for them to come. Since they’re trekking from Spain a day before the Sasquatch date. So let’s keep our eyes on that date.

14. Andy says:

We need Pavement to come here because last year was pretty dismal for the Schwab. We should jump on the oppurtunity for any great indie, grunge, or alternative band to come to our town. I think local indie rock band ‘Goodbye Dyna’ would make a fabulous opener. Plug.

15. Ben Salmon says:

@Mud – they’ll be in the Bay Area on June 25, too, with nothing scheduled before or after … that seems like even more of a possibility!

16. DPJ says:

I’m probably ineligible to vote, but I’d go see that show. However, I still prefer Archers of Loaf.

17. Chris says:

Pavement ist Rad!

If you value your life then vote to get The Pavements to Bend. They are simply one of the best bends in the last 20 years. No one will be disappointed in a Pastini (well, maybe the food), drinks at Anthony’s, then Pavement even with the overpriced beer. If you are uninitiated I would start with Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. And then take it from there.

Mr. Salmon, if you haven’t read Perfect Sound Forever I’ve got it and you can borrow it. Shoot me and email.

18. virginia says:

PAVEMENT YES!!!!!!!!

19. Soggybottom says:

Oh man…Pavement show at Old Mill would be fantastic!!! I’ve been a huge fan of these guys since Crooked Rain. BTW – if you like Pavement check out Guided By Voices. They are another “alternative” band that was putting out great music WAY before alternative bands were popular.

later

20. Cassondra says:

I’m a huge Pavement fan and would love to see them perform this Summer at the LSA. I also know a number of people that would love to visit Bend for this concert.

21. tcberg says:

As much a supporter as I am for preseving our natural spaces, I must insist Bend indeed needs more PAVEMENT! And some Deerhoof, too.

22. Brian B says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!

23. Janettenoel says:

Yes! I would love to see Pavement in Bend. Please come rock us out!

24. LORELI says:

insert pavement needs to come to bend comment here… followed by the fingers crossed and hopefully wishing…. alas LSA may surprise you never every know…